Take the time to set your busy schedule aside and focus on enjoying meals as a family. All too often, meals are consumed as an afterthought with hastily thrown together with ingredients and family members eating at all different times. Some may eat in front of the TV, some at the kitchen counter, and some in the car while driving to work. Finding time to gather at the kitchen table may seem impossible but the benefits should not be overlooked.
Benefits of Eating Meals Together
- Families who eat together are more likely to eat their 5 servings of fruit and vegetables
- Eating together helps strengthen relationships by allowing for a time to connect
- Allows parents to “lead by example” and show children proper table manners.
Tips for Eating Meals as a Family
- Involve children in meal preparation and clean-up
- Plan meals before grocery shopping
- Start with one family meal per week or gradually add more meals together each week.
- Make family meals a priority by writing it on the calendar
When was the last time you sat down and ate a meal with your family? If you cannot remember, now is a great time to start. Make it a pleasant experience for all and have everyone share how their day went.
by Laura Harkins