I love recipes. No, I mean I REALLY LOVE recipes. I can often be found at night searching the internet, magazines, and my cookbooks for recipes to inspire me in my meal planning. While searching for recipes, I came across the “What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl” site that features several on-line cookbooks such as The White House Cookbook, The Healthy Lunchtime Challenge Cookbook, Healthy Eating on a Budget Cookbook and MyPlate Cookbook by Goya which focuses on Healthy Tasty Affordable Latin Cooking. To check these out and find some recipes for your family, go to: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/recipes-cookbooks-and-menus
I find several recipes that are similar and pick out my favorite parts from each one to make my own recipe that I know my family will enjoy. Today’s recipe is a mash-up of two kid favorites – Pizza and Spaghetti. You can’t go wrong with those two! I hope you will enjoy making and eating this casserole to which you can add your own favorite pizza toppings.
Pizza Spaghetti Casserole
- 1 lb. ground meat (beef, turkey or chicken)
- 1 16 oz. box uncooked whole wheat spaghetti noodles (other noodles will also work)
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 ounces sliced pepperoni (try Turkey pepperoni)
- 1 (26 ounce) jar pasta sauce
- 1 16 oz. can diced Italian style tomatoes
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Italian cheese blend
- Any other pizza toppings like Black olives, sausage, onions, green peppers, etc…
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Brown meat in a separate frying pan.
- Once noodles are cooked, drain and put in a casserole dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk and egg.
- Pour over pasta and add jar of sauce, can of tomatoes, garlic powder, & oregano. Mix all together well.
- On top of pasta mixture, spread ground meat and any other additional toppings you may like then add a layer of pepperoni.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese, & Italian cheese over top and finish with another layer of pepperoni.
- Bake in the oven at 350˚F for 30 minutes.
Source: Suzanne’s personal recipe