Did you know…
Avocados are well known for their bright green color and great taste, but do you know about all of their health benefits? Avocados are a great source of healthful fats, dietary fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Some of these include vitamins C, E, K, and B, as well as magnesium, folate, potassium…. and the list goes on!
One great way to incorporate avocados into your diet today: Avocado Toast!
Makes 2 Serving | Serving Size: 2 slices of avocado toast
- 1 avocado
- 1 handful of mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 handful of chopped red onion
- 4 slices of whole wheat bread
- Salt & pepper
- Honey (optional)
- Chop garlic clove, mushrooms, and onion.
- Spray a pan with oil and cook the garlic, mushrooms, and onion over medium heat until the onion is translucent.
- Mash up avocado & spread an even layer of it over each slice of toasted bread.
- Place onion, garlic, and mushroom mixture on top of each slice & season with salt and pepper.
- [optional] drizzle honey over top for a sweet and savory flavor combo!
Tip: If you want to make one serving & save your other ½ of the avocado, squirt a little bit of lemon juice on it before placing it in a container in the fridge to stop it from browning quickly!
Recipe and Blog from Student Volunteer, Libby Robertson