Here’s a pasta salad that’s guaranteed to please and go the distance. Adding some of the fall’s hearty veggies will beef this dish when tossed with a tasty pasta. The addition of fresh basil in this naturally creamy pasta adds perfume and depth.
- 1 pound box of whole wheat pasta (ziti or penne), uncooked
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound of white button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 small head purple cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons salt (plus more for boiling)
- Water for boiling
- In a large stockpot, bring salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add the garlic to the pan and saute for one minute.
- Add the mushrooms, cabbage, and salt to the pan and allow them to cook for about five to seven minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reserve one cup of the pasta water. Then drain the pasta and set aside.
- Add the pasta to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Add the pasta water, black pepper, and red pepper flakes and simmer for thirty seconds.
- Add the basil and the parmesan cheese. Serve warm.