- Non-stick cooking spray
- 2 (16-ounce) cans pinto beans
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (you can use any type of quinoa)
- 1 1/2 cups salsa (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a regular size muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Drain and rinse the canned beans.
- Cook the canned beans in water over medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Drain well
- Place half of the beans in a large bowl and using a fork or potato masher, mash beans to a coarse texture.
- Add spices to mashed beans and combine well, mashing further.
- Add carrot, onion, and egg and mix well.
- Add salt, pepper, flour, breadcrumbs, quinoa, and remaining beans. Mix well.
- Divide mixture into 8–10 equal portions. Roll into balls. Press gently into muffin tin. (Refrigerating for 1 hour will help burgers stay together better.)
- Bake for 20 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Allow burgers to rest on counter for 10 minutes, then gently run a knife around the edges to loosen. Serve with Fresh-Made Salsa if desired.
Hint: Use Fresh-Made Salsa or Black Bean and Corn Salsa for added flavor and nutrients. Recipes are in Cooking with EFNEP. Try adding leftover diced veggies to boost the veggie content even more.