Although you may fool some, this delicious icy treat has no cream or ice. This dairy-free alternative to ice cream is a great option for our lactose-intolerant friends and a healthier option for us all! Even better, this sweet-treat has no added sugar and contributes to our daily recommended intake of fruit. According to the USDA’s MyPlate, most adults should consume 1 ½ to 2 cups of fruit each day.
Makes 4, ½ cup servings
- 2 medium bananas, sliced and frozen
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced and frozen
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- Food Processor (A powerful blender can be used but may require a longer blending time.)
- Peel and slice the bananas. Wash, de-stem and slice the strawberries. Freeze the fruit ahead of time (at least 3 hours.)
- Place frozen fruit slices into a food processor.
- Cover and process until the fruit reaches a creamy consistency, about 3-5 minutes. You may have to scrape the sides of the food processor periodically, patience is key here!
- Add the cocoa powder and continue to process until the desired consistency has been reached.
- Scrape the mixture into a bowl, enjoy immediately or store in the freezer.
Try mixing it up with different fruits and flavors to find your family’s favorite combination. My personal favorite is bananas, peanut butter powder, and cinnamon!
Megan is the Adult EFNEP Nutrition Educator at NC Extension, Orange County.