Makes 6 servings
Serving Size: 1 cup
Ingredients for Tzatziki Sauce
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled
- 5 ounces nonfat Greek yogurt, vanilla
- 1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt, plain
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/8 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Ingredients for Coleslaw
- 4 cups cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups seedless grapes, cut into quarters
- 1 cup carrots, coarsely shredded
- 6 ounces walnuts, chopped
1. Cut cucumber lengthwise. Remove seeds.
2. In a medium size bowl, coarsely grate cucumber.
3. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt to cucumber and place on plastic wrap, over- lapping plastic to firmly secure. Set aside on colander for 15-20 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, mix remaining Tzatziki Sauce ingredients. Cover with a lid and allow to chill in the refrigerator while preparing coleslaw.
5. In a large bowl, mix all Coleslaw ingredients.
6. Gently wring plastic wrap from one end to the other and squeeze and discard juice from grated cucumber.
7. Stir cucumber into chilled yogurt mix.
8. Combine Tzatziki Sauce with Coleslaw and mix thoroughly.
9. Serve immediately or cover and chill to serve later.
Nutrition Information Per Serving:
300 Calories, Total Fat 14g, Saturated Fat 2g, Protein 10g, Total Carbohydrate 24g, Dietary Fiber 5g, Sodium 377mg. Excellent source of vitamins A and C. Good source of calcium and iron.
Recipe contributed by Lethia Lee and Ahira Sanchez, Former NC EFNEP Educators