This light and bright flavorful recipe is a riff on a classic favorite. It comes together quickly and is ahealthy choice for a hearty, warm-weather dinner.
– 2 slices whole-wheat bread, hand torn into small pieces
– 1 large egg, slightly beaten
– 1 lb ground turkey
– 1 ½ tsp salt
– 1 tsp black pepper
– 4 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 Tbsp. olive oil
– 1 can coconut milk
– 2 carrots, cut in bias slices
– ½ cup sliced onion
– 1 packet whole-wheat spaghetti (or other whole-wheat pasta)
1. Combine the bread pieces, egg, turkey, salt, pepper and garlic in a large bowl, until wellcombined.
2. Form into balls.
3. In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil for about 30 seconds. Add the meatballs, one at a time,taking care not to overcrowd the pan.
4. Cook for about 10 minutes, until the meatballs have reached an internal temperature of 165degrees. They should be brown on all sides.
5. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the pasta and cook per package directions.
6. When all the meatballs are cooked remove them from the pan and place onto a plate.
7. In the same pan used to cook the meatballs, reduce heat to medium-low and using a woodenspoon scrape up any of the brown bits (known as fond) that was left over during the cookingprocess.
8. Add in the coconut milk, carrots and onions and simmer, still on medium-low heat, for threeminutes.
9. Add the meatballs back to the pan and allow to cook for another minute or so, until wellcombined with the coconut milk and vegetables.
10. Add salt and pepper to taste Serve atop pasta.