Makes 12 servings | Serving Size: 1 muffin
• Nonstick cooking spray
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 cup finely diced sweet onion
• 1/2 cup finely diced lean ham
• 1 cup finely diced mushrooms
• 2 cups finely chopped baby spinach (long stems removed) • 12 eggs (6 whole, 6 egg whites)
• 3/4 cup low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
• Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Place olive oil in skillet and heat over medium high heat.
- Add onion, ham and mushrooms to skillet. Cook untiltender, stirring constantly.
- Stir in baby spinach. Cook until just wilted.
- Drain. Use paper towels to remove all water from cookedmixture.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of meat and veggie mixture intoeach muffin cup.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until foamy.(Room temperature egg whites work best.)
- In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining 6 eggs withsalt and pepper to taste.
- Gently fold beaten egg whites into whole eggs.
- Using a cup with a spout, pour egg mixture in eachmuffin cup until almost to the rim of the cup.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon cheese over mixture
- Gently stir each cup with a fork and bake for 22 minutesor until internal temperature reaches 160 F.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
121 Calories, Total Fat 7g, Saturated Fat 3g, Protein 10g, Total Carbohydrate 4g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Sodium 179mg. Excellent source of vitamin A.
Recipe contributed by Carol Pitts, NC EFNEP Educator