Makes 10 servings Serving Size: 1 burger
• 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
• 1 cup brown rice, cooked
• 2 cups unsalted beef broth
• 2 large yellow onions, diced
• 1 cup finely diced mushrooms
• 1 cup lentils, sorted and rinsed
• 2 cups water
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 2 cups quick cooking oats
• 3 eggs
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium- high heat. Add rice and toast stirring constantly. (Rice will have a nutty aroma when ready).
- Add beef broth and bring rice to a full boil over high heat. Cover. Reduce heat to low and cook for 45 minutes without lifting lid.
- Add 3 tablespoons olive oil to a large skillet. Saute onions until dark brown. Add mushrooms and continue to saute 1–2 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, cook lentils for 10–12 minutes in water. Drain and let cool.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Shape into patties.
- In skillet, cook only the number of burgers you need over medium-high heat for approximately 3 minutes on each side or until internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- If you do not need to make all of the burgers at once, freeze for a quick meal later.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
168 Calories, Total Fat 10g, Saturated Fat 2g, Protein 6g, Total Carbohydrate 17g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Sodium 99mg. Good source of vitamins A and C.
Recipe contributed by Paula Norris, NC EFNEP Employee