This classic breakfast ingredient is transformed into a satisfying dinner-worthy main dish. Tomatoes are simmered in aromatics then freshly cracked eggs are poached within flavorful pockets of stewed tomatoes. The result is a surprising and delicious meal that you’re sure to repeat. This dish is best served with whole grain pitas.
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, smashed
¼ cup white onion, chopped
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/3 cup fresh hand torn basil (or 1 ½ tablespoons dried)
Whole grain pitas (or other whole wheat bread) optional
- Preheat the oven to 375˚ F.
- In a saucepan, over low heat, add the olive oil and allow it to heat for about 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and garlic and stir until soft, fragrant, and translucent (about two to three minutes.)
- Add the tomatoes and oregano and stir to combine, then bring to a simmer.
- Using a spoon, create six small pools within the tomatoes.
- Crack the eggs in each pool and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake uncovered for 10-12 minutes until the whites and yolks are soft and cooked to 160˚ F.
- Top with basil and serve with whole wheat pita or bread if desired.