The first day of November marks the start of the holiday season. This means parties, food and fun for the next two months. If you’re like most Americans, you may end up gaining between 1 to 5 pounds. It’s no surprise when many holiday dishes are high in calories, fat, and sugar. This season, strive to maintain not gain weight. Follow these simple strategies to help you be healthy and happy during the holidays:
- Before your holiday feast, avoid skipping meals, which may result in overeating.
- When you do eat, be sure to add high fiber foods such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. These foods will fill you without all the calories.
- Go ahead and enjoy the feast but watch your portions. A sliver of pie tastes just as delicious as a large slice!
- Use smaller plates and avoid seconds (unless you’re going back for more tossed salad).
- If you’re in a buffet, start with the salads and fruits.
- Eat slowly and savor every bite.
- Get at least 30 minutes of physical activity every day.