We’re cooking up a delicious and budget-friendly one-pot pasta recipe that’s perfect for the whole family!
Makes 6 serving | Serving size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or lean or extra-lean ground beef
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can no salt added diced tomatoes, not drained
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta (penne or macaroni)
- 6 ounces fat-free or low-fat cottage cheese (or low-fat ricotta cheese)
- 8 ounces of frozen spinach (about 4 cups fresh)
- 1 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Spray a medium sized saucepan or skillet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Brown ground meat. Drain and return to pan.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, water, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Add uncooked pasta. Cover and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Stir in cottage cheese (or ricotta) and spinach. Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top, then cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 1–2 minutes to melt the cheese.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: 264 Calories, Total Fat 4g, Saturated Fat 2g, Protein 24g, Total Carbohydrate 36g, Dietary Fiber 6g, Sodium 462mg.