Makes 4 servings
Serving Size: 3 pretzels
- 1 package yeast (2 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 cup warm water (105-115°F)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 1/3 cups flour (use half whole-wheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Wash hands and surfaces.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water, add honey and let set for a few minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, measure flour and salt.
- Add yeast mixture to flour mixture and stir until ingredients are combined. Dough will be crumbly and flaky.
- Knead dough on clean countertop or cutting board until it forms a smooth ball. Add a little flour if dough is sticky to keep from sticking to counter.
- Divide dough into 12 pieces about the size of a walnut. Roll each ball into a snake and then twist into a pretzel shape.
- Place pretzels on a baking sheet lightly coated with vegetable cooking spray.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with honey mustard.
NOTE: Pretzels can be brushed with melted margarine and sprinkled with herbs or spices.
Recipe from K-State