Makes 6 servings – Serving Size: 8 ounces
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can pineapple packed in own juice
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 yellow plantains, peeled and thinly sliced
- Dash ground red pepper
- 1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, rinsed, stems removed and chopped
- 16 ounces soy milk
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1 cup juice. Set aside.
- Spray skillet with cooking spray. Preheat skillet over medium heat.
- Place sliced plantains in skillet. Cook, covered for 5 minutes.
- Lift lid. Flip plantains to opposite side, sprinkle with red pepper and add 1/4 cup pineapple juice to pan. Cook an additional 5 minutes stirring occasionally to avoid sticking.
- Remove skillet from heat and remove lid to allow plantains and juice to cool.
- In a blender, combine pineapple and remaining reserved liquid, yogurt, cilantro, and soy milk. Blend.
- Slowly add cooled plantain mixture and continue blending until all ingredients are a smooth consistency.
- Chill prior to serving.
- Nutrition Information Per Serving
129 Calories, Total Fat 3g, Saturated Fat 1g, Protein 5g, Total Carbohydrate 21g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Sodium 67mg. Excellent source of Vitamin A. Good source of Calcium.
Recipe contributed by Natema Drummond and Jessica Kearney, NC EFNEP Educators