Makes 8 servings
Serving Size: 1 slice
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon or nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 slices whole-wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 3 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- Dash of ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, beat eggs with a fork or whisk, then add milk, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and vanilla. Beat until mixed well.
- Melt margarine in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Dip one slice of bread at a time in the egg mixture and turn over to coat both sides.
- Place in hot skillet. Use a spatula to turn bread. Cook each side until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- To make fruit sauce, combine strawberries, syrup, and a dash of cinnamon. Mix well.
- Microwave fruit sauce for 30 seconds or until warm and stir.
- Spoon sauce over French toast immediately and serve.