Makes 6 servings
- 2 pounds fresh green beans
- 2 teaspoons canola or olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the beans, cut off the tips, and remove the stringy piece of fiber along the stem by pulling it off. Put the beans in a colander and rinse again.
- Over a medium heat setting, add oil to a large saucepan.
- Wait approximately 45 seconds until oil is hot, then add raw onions to the pan.
- Sauté the onions in oil until they are translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and sauté a few minutes more.
- Add green beans, tomatoes, green pepper, and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and let simmer covered for 15 minutes or until the beans are tender.
- Serve hot.