- Choose 5 vegetables (1/2 cup of each)
- Choose 1 Starch (1 cup per person, cooked according to package directions)
- Brown Rice
- White Rice
- Rice Noodles
- Whole-Wheat Spaghetti
- 1/4 cup Stir-Fry Sauce (recipe follows)
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Wash and chop selected vegetables into small evenly sized pieces. You may cut them into circles, strips, or cubes as desired. A variety of shapes will make the stir-fry more pleasing to the eye.
- Heat a small amount (1 tablespoon or less) of vegetable oil over high heat in a 10-inch frying pan, electric skillet, or wok.
- Keeping the heat high, add vegetables to the pan in order of firmness–harder foods first and ending with the softest foods.
- Toss vegetables during cooking to keep them from sticking. When stir-frying, cooked vegetables should still be crisp and retain their bright color.
- Add sauce to taste (about 1/4 cup). Stir-fry until all vegetables are thoroughly coated.
- Serve with starch of choice.
Makes 1/2 cup
- 2 tablespoons sodium-free beef bouillon
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dark molasses
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Dash of black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and boil gently, uncovered, for 5 or more minutes or until sauce is reduced to 1/2 cup. When cooked, pour into lidded jar and keep in the refrigerator. Stir before using.