Celebrate National Cheese Lovers Day with this cheesy Veggie Tuna Mac Recipe.
Makes 6 servings | Serving size: 1/2 cup
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 ½ cups whole-wheat macaroni or penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups nonfat milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas
- 2 (4.5-ounce) cans low-sodium light tuna, packed in water, drained
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Place cooked macaroni in casserole dish.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet. Add onion and green pepper. Cook, stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
- Add flour and continue stirring for 2 minutes.
- Slowly stir in milk. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Boil, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Reduce heat and add cheese, Italian seasoning and pepper. Stir until cheese melts.
- Combine macaroni, cheese mixture, frozen peas and tuna in casserole dish.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until center temperature of casserole reaches 165°F.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: 320 Calories, Total Fat 10g, Saturated Fat 2g, Protein 26g, Total Carbohydrate 34g, Dietary Fiber 5g, Sodium 200mg. Excellent source of vitamins A and C. Good source of calcium and iron.