A classic Asian take-out favorite gets a healthier facelift by adding a heavy hand of broccoli cooked-two-ways.
-4 cups broccoli, separated and stems intact
-1 lemon (or 3 Tbsp lemon juice)
-1 cup brown rice, uncooked
-2 cups water
-2 Tbsp vegetable oil
-1 lb lean ground beef
-5 cloves garlic, smashed (or 1 Tbsp garlic powder)
-1 Tbsp minced ginger (or 2 tsp ginger powder)
-2 tsp salt
-1 tsp black pepper
-¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
-2 stalks scallions, greens and whites, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 400˚ F.
- Toss half of the broccoli (2 cups) in the lemon juice. Season with half the salt and pepper and drizzle with the vegetable oil.
- Bake uncovered on a sheet pan for 15 to 20 minutes until the edges are crispy. Set aside to cool.
- In a large skillet pan, over medium heat, add the ground beef and use a spoon to break the beef apart slightly, keeping large bits intact.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and the remaining salt and pepper and the other half of the broccoli.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let cook on low heat for about five minutes. Meanwhile, cook the rice per package directions, usually 2 parts water for 1 part of rice.
- After five minutes, add the soy sauce and stir to combine. Add the scallions.
- Once the meat reaches an internal temperature of 160˚ F serve a top steamed brown rice with roasted broccoli.
-Recipe by Chef Brigid Washington
1 Carton of Low-Fat Vanilla Yogurt (4-6 oz.)
½ Cup Fresh or Frozen Fruit
4 Tablespoons Oat O-shaped Cereal
Sliced almonds or granola (optional)
Add half the yogurt to a bowl
Add the cereal then the remaining yogurt
Add the fruit and then top with granola or nuts if desired
This light and bright flavorful recipe is a riff on a classic favorite. It comes together quickly and is ahealthy choice for a hearty, warm-weather dinner.
– 2 slices whole-wheat bread, hand torn into small pieces
– 1 large egg, slightly beaten
– 1 lb ground turkey
– 1 ½ tsp salt
– 1 tsp black pepper
– 4 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 Tbsp. olive oil
– 1 can coconut milk
– 2 carrots, cut in bias slices
– ½ cup sliced onion
– 1 packet whole-wheat spaghetti (or other whole-wheat pasta)
1. Combine the bread pieces, egg, turkey, salt, pepper and garlic in a large bowl, until wellcombined.
2. Form into balls.
3. In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil for about 30 seconds. Add the meatballs, one at a time,taking care not to overcrowd the pan.
4. Cook for about 10 minutes, until the meatballs have reached an internal temperature of 165degrees. They should be brown on all sides.
5. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the pasta and cook per package directions.
6. When all the meatballs are cooked remove them from the pan and place onto a plate.
7. In the same pan used to cook the meatballs, reduce heat to medium-low and using a woodenspoon scrape up any of the brown bits (known as fond) that was left over during the cookingprocess.
8. Add in the coconut milk, carrots and onions and simmer, still on medium-low heat, for threeminutes.
9. Add the meatballs back to the pan and allow to cook for another minute or so, until wellcombined with the coconut milk and vegetables.
10. Add salt and pepper to taste Serve atop pasta.
Simple summer produce is simmered in an easy classical French dish, that is big on flavor and low on effort.
-2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
-1 medium Vidalia onion, chopped
-5 cloves of garlic, crushed
-1 medium eggplant, large diced
-2 zucchini squash, large diced
-2 yellow squash, large diced
-5 or 6 fresh tomatoes (or one 28oz can)
-Hearty bunch of basil, rough chopped
-1 Tbsp. salt
-2 Tsp. black pepper
- In a large pot, add the olive oil, onions and garlic and sauté on medium high heat for three to
five minutes until the aromatics are soft, translucent and tender.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the eggplant, yellow and green squash and tomatoes. Stir to
combine and simmer covered for about twelve minutes.
- Take off the heat. The stew will sprout its own juices, so there isn’t a need to add water.
- Add basil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- ½ Cup Corn
- ½ Cup Low Sodium Canned Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ Cup Tomatoes, Diced
- ¼ Cup Green Onion, Diced
- ¼ Cup Green Pepper, Washed and Diced
- ½ Teaspoon Dried Minced Garlic
- ¼ Cup Picante Sauce
- ¼ Cup Cilantro, Chopped (optional)
Combine all ingredients and mix